Families Change
Teen Guide to Separation & Divorce

You are here


Previous Next

There are many people around you who can help you cope with your parents splitting up. Sometimes just talking to a friend can help a lot, especially if his or her parents have also split up. You can also talk to an adult you trust, like:

  • a relative (aunt, uncle, grandmother, grandfather)
  • your teacher
  • your school counselor
  • someone at your place of worship
  • your family doctor

These people can help by:

  • listening,
  • helping you to put things in perspective,
  • suggesting things you can do to feel better, and
  • connecting you with other people who can help.

If you or other family members are being abused, you can contact the 24/7 Helpline rings through to a help agency in your county.

Kids First: Provides online resources, phone help, referrals, and in-person groups for kids and teens going through divorce.

Children’s Advocacy Centers

Maine Crisis Hotline: 1-888-568-1112

Maine Behavioral Healthcare

Maine Coalition Against Sexual Assault

211 Maine: statewide clearinghouse for help services.

KIDS LEGAL: Although they can’t help you cope with a divorce, they do help teens with other legal problems such as: school issues, physical and sexual abuse, support you may need when you’re out on your own.

Q & A

I really feel like I need some help. Who should I ask?

There are lots of people around you who can help. Tell your parents, teacher, school counsellor, family doctor or another adult you trust.

If you aren't getting the help you think you need, keep asking until you get it.